Galileo in BavarianSky - Network of Excellence in Satellite Navigation
Download the full paper in PDF (496 KB)
The building up of the European satellite navigation system Galileo with its new services, the guaranteed reliability and continuity as well as the interoperable and complementary relation to GPS is expected to open new markets for satellite navigation applications all over the world. Many sectors will benefit from Galileo as the range of application is varied and an exponential grow is being expected for fields related to the development of satellite navigation.
During the last years several examinations dealing with satellite navigation sector in Bavaria have been carried out. The analyses revealed that satellite navigation signals serve as basis for a wide range of new applications. The results highlighted that especially the Munich region meets all criteria for becoming a centre in satellite navigation as the region is hosting quite a number of enterprises, research centers, universities, industries and service providers dealing with satellite navigation. Moreover capabilities in the key sectors of communication and IT can be found in this area as well as business in potential fields of application like automobile, chip and software development. This environment will be completed by the financial sector.
Besides the in the examination identified strength, weaknesses were detected and methods were presented to compensate them with the objective to reinforce existing capabilities and to foster networking and clustering between research institutes and industry. Therefore a program has been established containing several points to meet the required efforts.
The main components which are proposed in this program are:
A hub has to be established to coordinate and support the main activities mentioned below. The main tasks are:
- to reinforce existing capabilities and resources of the Bavarian economy, industry, politics and science,
- to support the development of networks,
- to foster transfer of technology and knowledge,
- to initiate pilot schemes,
- to support further education and training
- initiate symposiums, congresses and meetings of experts.
- Networking and exchange of specialized information were considered to be one of the major tasks. Existing databases should provide specialized information and be accessible for authorized users groups.
- A technology and application program should be launched which is considered to create key technologies as well as to support core project and related research and development activities. Pilot schemes should be acquired and initiated. Moreover with GATE the German Test and Development Environment, a ground based, realistic test bed is available for receiver manufacturers and application developers to test their products at an early stage. It offers a system test bed for Galileo signal definition, a user test bed for Galileo receiver development as well as for GPS/Galileo application developments and a customized user test bed for special extensions/LBS applications.
To intensify the education and further education in the field of satellite navigation and related fields like communication and geo information technology, it was suggested to:
- found a new study course in satellite navigation at the University FAF Munich,
- establish specialized training programs, containing a full rang of technical issues on the one hand and on the other hand fitting industrial needs. This training is considered to qualify particularly professionals.
- To stimulate the development of Galileo based applications and instruments an active policy which facilitates the foundation of new companies as well as the revision of business environments for start-ups and especially for small end medium enterprises have to be taken into account. Together with the network facilities future founders of companies and customers will benefit from the advantages of the regional clustering of industry, science and entrepreneurship.
- A joint concept has to be created to announce and to illustrate the varied skill of the existing industry, research institutes and universities. This has to be communicated within the Bavarian region as well as at the international level. As the target groups are varied, different actions have to be taken into account like revised internet presence, brochures, school lab…
The main objective of this article is to describe in detail the determined measures and efforts as well as their realization towards the improvement of the network of excellence in the Munich region. Besides the aim of the network to foster cooperation on the different national and international levels, to strengthen local and regional competences as well as to enhance the educational sector, one of the main aims is to contribute solutions as the qualified partner in the field of satellite navigation.
- Reprinted with permission from The Institute of Navigation (http://ion.org/) and The Proceedings of the 18th International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division of The Institute of Navigation, (pp. 432-438). Fairfax, VA: The Institute of Navigation.
Growth and Expansion
Galileo in Bavaria
Future Directions and Research